If you or your loved ones have suffered a work-related injury, you may wonder about your rights and options for pursuing a claim. While some work-related injuries are considered the most prevalent, you should know that any damage resulting from failing to secure a safe working environment can be a reason to claim compensation. Read on and learn some of the most common situations when employees get into unenviable situations and find out when it’s better to seek professional legal assistance.
Common Types of Work-Related Injuries – From Slips to Occupational Illnesses
Highly skilled and experienced lawyers note – there is no specific list of injuries you can or cannot claim compensation for. The possibility of getting compensation does not depend on high-risk or low-risk workplace status either. Even though some workplaces are related to high injury risk, you can be a victim of a failure to ensure a secure working environment in the office too.
Here are some of the most prevalent types of work-related injuries:
- Slip and fall accidents.They typically occur due to hazardous conditions such as wet floors, uneven surfaces, or inadequate lighting – employees might lose their balance or not notice obstacles in their way. These incidents happen in various workplaces and can end in various injuries, from broken bones to head traumas or even severe back injuries.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSIs). As the name implies, repetitive injuries develop over time due to repetitive motions or sustained exertion. Such damages might be harder to prove as work-related as there might be no specific accident causing it; however, it is possible. For instance, it could be carpal tunnel syndrome – numbness, weakness and pain in the hand and wrist – developed from excessive typing or vibrating tools. Also, a typical example of repetitive strain traumas is back injuries from constant heavy lifting.
- Machinery-Related Accidents. These accidents can cause severe consequences – including lacerations or amputations. Such claims are usually pursued based on inadequate training and lack of safety. Also, one of the reasons could be an equipment malfunction.
- Occupational Illnesses. Even though it sounds awful, some workplaces are related to the constant presence of hazardous substances or conditions. For instance, working in very loud noise, amid construction dust or with harmful chemicals in factories. Without proper safety measures, such work might cause respiratory problems, hearing loss or various skin conditions.
- Construction Site-Related Injuries.There’re plenty of reasons why construction sites are considered high-risk workplaces. Heavy building materials, various tools and electrical cables surround employees. Sometimes, they might also have to work at heights. So different construction site injuries (e.g., falls from heights, scaffolding collapses, electrocution, or being struck by falling objects) result in fractures, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, etc.
Once again, these are just some of the most prevalent work-related injury types. As long as someone else is responsible and fails to ensure a safe workplace, you can claim compensation for any work-related injuries.
How to Claim Work-Related Injury?
While it’s possible to pursue a claim for a work-related injury and represent yourself in legal matters without a lawyer in many jurisdictions, assessing whether it’s an efficient way to solve the problem is essential. If you don’t have knowledge and expertise, it might not be the wise solution – likely, it will neither save you time nor money (as with lack of knowledge, you will have fewer chances to get fair compensation). Especially if the circumstances are complicated and employers and colleagues are negligent.
So, one of the most efficient ways to claim work-related injuries is to contact a law firm specialising in the work-related injuries field. During the first consultation, experts will help you assess whether you have a valid claim and will advise on the best course of further action. They will handle all the needed documentation, instruct you on collecting proof and represent your interests during negotiations or in court.
Looking for a trustworthy law firm to help you navigate a complex workplace injury claim path? One of the first steps is to find experts specialising in a specific law field – workplace-related injuries compensation claims. By the way, some law firms share helpful information and insights simply on their websites today. This way, you can access information in different languages (русскоговорящие адвокаты в лондоне) and understand the situation better before the consultation.